Thursday, March 8, 2012

Tight Calf


I ran an easy 9 on Monday night and then again on Tuesday morning, both times with Sam and Karl. The weather seems to be all over the place which is typical of late winter/early spring in Maryland. Tights, heavy long sleeve shirts and thick gloves were the norm on Tuesday, but by Workout Wednesday we were shirtless.

I got in an easy 3.5 on the treadmill Wednesday morning before getting to the track that night for 800s. The plan was to run 8x800 cut down from 2:32 to 2:26. The rest was a full lap, so it was relatively easy in terms of a Wednesday night workout. I felt quite strong, but by rep 4 my right calf started to ache. I got through 2 more but pulled the plug on running more than 6. I hate bailing from workouts and can probably count the times on one hand when I have, but I am glad I did. The pace was only getting quicker (the B group split 2:15 on rep 10!) and my calf was only getting tighter. That combination doesn't equate to good results.

Splits: 2:30, 2:30, 2:29, 2:29, 2:26, 2:25. 

Aside from the obviously sore lower right leg, I left the track feeling as if I hadn't even run a workout, which I suppose is a good thing considering the upcoming Sunday race.

I am not sure what prompted the tightness, but I'll need to drink more aqua, instead of coffee, at work especially as the weather gets warmer (it was 70 on Wednesday).

I expect I'll feel fine and dandy on my Thursday night run, if not I'll have to take another look at this.

No comments: