Friday, March 25, 2011

CHIRO: Run "Only" 5 Days Per Week


"What the hell are you thinking?", the chiro barked.

"Huh, what? I began to cower then assumed the fetal position as I anticipated being beaten like a dog whose just soiled the carpet.

"I never told you to run every day. You MUST rest"

A debate ensued and I stated my case. The chiro, his. It was agreed upon that I need to now start taking two days off per week regardless of how I feel in order to rid myself of any and all pain. I asked the good doctor how long this would go on. He smiled devilishly and said "for awhile". Angered some, I stood up and again asked the question, this time demanding an answer. I forget what he actually said, but the "foreseeable future" is really what he was getting at. I explained that I will eventually need to run 7 days a week again in order to get back to where I once was. All distance runners run everyday (ok, some run 6 days a week, but..) More debate and discussion led to a solution. From here on out, for the "foreseeable future" I will take Mondays AND Fridays off. While on this schedule I should try to run LONGER during my Sunday run and HARDER during a Wednesday run. I don't think I am ready to run too hard yet, but I am interested in upping the mileage of my long run and I think this will have desirable effects. Additionally, I know Coach Jerry isn't keen on me running any "tests" (read workouts) ANYtime soon. So, for now, I will have to do more with less, until at least all the pain is behind me. So, today I'll take off - the first day off in about 12 days.

On Tuesday morning I ran the NIH loop by myself around 8:30 in the morning. I had a dentist appt in Bethesda at noon and I took the extra time in the morning to get a little bit of work done and to hit the road after sunrise. I stuck to running 45 mins or so.

On Wednesday morning I ran from NatGeo and did my best to keep the pace chill, but the hustle and bustle of the morning commute and the oft-fresh feeling in my legs, made this difficult. My leg is a definitely a bit more tender than it was a week ago, but it warms up nicely during the run. I wandered up Rock Creek Park, up the Zoo Hill and back down Connecticut for another 6-7 miles.

On Thursday I met Wiggy, Luff and Dusen for another NIH loop. I would have liked to go further, but with the chiro appointment's meeting fresh in my mind, and with Friday scheduled to be an off day, I stood down after 6 miles.

No comments: