Friday, February 5, 2010

The North Bethesda Distance Project



I met Chicken Tender, Scott, Double C and Karl at Grosvenor this morning for a run south down the Rock Creek Trail. This was our largest weekday morning group yet. The group is hereinafter referred to as The North Bethesda Distance Project (NBDP). There are two other members of the NBDP - Jordan (who is injured) and Bain (who is...well, actually I have no idea where he is). The snow from this weeks earlier two dustings made the footing tough at times but it could have been a lot worse (and it will in 8 hours). Chicken and CC headed back when we hit East-West Hwy, but Karl, Scott and I decided to run to The Line. In all my years running from Grosvenor, I had never run to DC and back. Today I had my day. I had planned to get in at least 15 and I woke up at 6 in order to drink coffee, drink Gatorade and get my body moving so that I started the run awake and alert. However, at 70 minutes my body began to revolt. By the time I got back to Grosvenor I was ready to call it a day. The snowy paths, troublesome tummy and the 10 miles from the night before had collaborated and I quit at 13.

We could get 2 feet of snow in the next 24 hours. I am a big fan of storms. Sure, it messes up my running and it cripples the city, but I love to see nature's furry, because it is so rare that we get to experience it. Whether it is extreme heat, bitter cold, but especially hurricanes and snow storms. I had my share of both growing up on Cape Cod. The world seems to slow down and stop after a huge storm. Neighbors come out and marvel at the changed world. Embrace it when you can.

1 comment:

JARRIN said...

Nature certainly is furry today.

- JARRIN