Friday, January 2, 2009

The Wild West


I arrived in Denver on New Years Eve and ran in Golden, CO (5,500 ft) on New Years Day and labored on the hills. Golden (picture 1), is the home of Coors...sweet sweet Coors. The run wasn't much fun. The trail along the creek resembled a luge and the air burned my lungs. I awoke with a bloody nose. I only put in 8 miles, which was plenty.




On Friday, I ran with Bert in an area known as Boreas Pass (picture 2) in Breckenridge. We huffed and puffed up a snowshoe trail that was packed down enough for running. Those of you who have been skiing know how difficult it is to find a decent place to run, so this was ideal. However, the trail was at 11,000ft and went up...up, up, UP. Bert and I ran 8:30 miles and were dying. I felt like I was on the Hillary Step. On the way down we dipped under 7:00 pace. The view was amazing. A million feet below we could see the town of Breckenridge. It was simply amazing running through the Colorado Rockies...but tough.

No comments: