Thursday, January 15, 2009

Frigid


It’s cold out…and it’s only gonna get colder. Thankfully it’s not as cold as it is out west. Temps are a “balmy” 15-25 degrees here in DC and that is certainly doable.

I jogged an easy 7+ this morning in anticipation for a mini “workout” tonight. After about a half mile I don’t notice the cold weather. In fact, as I ran, I noted how much I love winter running. It’s great for training - you can load up on miles since there aren’t many races. – and usually it is peaceful and quiet since the trails aren’t filled with other runners. I continue to feel very strong. I am very optimistic of good things to come IF I keep it up.

Two years ago I had a period where I PR’d in almost every race I ran. My legs were simply paying back for the mileage I’d built up (which really wasn’t that much BUT it was an improvement upon what I had been doing). In fact there was a point when I cut off 45 seconds in my 10k TWICE over a 3 month time period. Eventually my improvements became less ridiculous and I’d only peel off 10 seconds here or there. My point is that I think I am on the verge of some great races where I hope to slice off tons large portions of clock time. Patience is key.

Tonight I’ll don the track spikes for some 200s in anticipation for the 3k. I’ve only run a half handful of 3ks. My PR is pathetic and dates back 8 YEARS to February of 2001. Interesting to note who out-leaned me in that race!

8 Jason Dwyer Haverford 8:51.90
9 Jake Klim Maryland-B C 8:52.10

Prick.

I don’t think I am in that (fast leg speed) type of shape right now, but I’ve been surprised time and time again with what mileage can do for you…even in these shorter races. I don't know what to expect. At the end of the day it will be a solid workout. Initially, my plan was to run 5k pace for the 3k…but I’ve scrapped that idea. I am going all in.

2 comments:

JARRIN said...

This afternoon I ran 3 miles in 75 degree weather without a cloud in the sky. As I write this at 10:38pm in my hotel room, a light breeze is making its way through my balcony door. It's a Spring-like breeze that feels like 62 degrees.

It's been like this ever since I got here. It feels like paradise...actually, it is paradise.

- JARRIN

Peter said...

Lucky bastard.