Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Operation Uptick


There aren't many weeks between now and January 20 and if I want to go all in for the marathon I need to start working.

The last two weeks have been good (for me): 82 and 78 miles, respectively. But there has been a number of quality miles bundled into that 160 mile block: 2 races and 3 workouts. This week I should be near 90, which is pretty high for me. 

On Monday morning I ran an easy 9 hitting the old Fox & Deer Trails around Rock Creek. I slithered unexpectadly past a few dear, but other than that the run was uneventful.

I met Luff, Koonce and Jimmy Daly on Tuesday morning. It was nice to see Jimmy, who is just getting back into the swing of things (maybe...if his injury subsides). We ran down to the Walter Reid Annex trails and got in 11.5 for the morning. Later that night I got in another 4.5 running around the frigid streets behind Hank Dietle's Tavern.

I ran 6 on Wednesday morning and then met the posse at the track in Bethesda that night for what was advertised as a pretty tough workout: 4 x mile in 5:10/5:00/4:50/4:40 (3:00 recovery). I hit the desired splits, but on the last one we were permitted to "pull a Dusen" after the first 800m. I ended up clocking a confidence-boosting 4:34 then cooled down for 2 miles on the track. It was a 16 mile day.

No comments: