Sunday, November 25, 2012

Coming Back


I flew back to Maryland and got right back into training. 

But, that was two weeks ago.

I struggled through my first Wednesday's workout (3 x 2k: 6:15, 6:07, 6:09...then a mile in 5:07), but at this point, I'm not really interested in hitting specific times, rather just getting in *some* speed work. 

My workout on Saturday, at Cell Phone Field, went a little better, but I still struggled to find a rhythm after a few weeks without running any intervals. Still, it was good to get in something fast...and this time, over grass.

The next day, on tired legs, I went out to Duel Ferries to get in 20. As per usual, the pace seemed to quicken after the first 5 miles. We hit 10 in about 65:30. Sam and Karl turned around at 12.5 (to get in 15) while I continued to White's Ferry. Once I hit mil 13, I was under 6:00 pace and stayed that way for the duration of the run. I tried to "find" my goal marathon pace without much effort over the last 5 miles and cut down from 5:50 to 5:29 (2:04 for 20). I jogged another mile on the towpath and got in 21 for the day and 82 for the week. I felt quite good. The 21 was a much needed confidence booster going forward.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The next day I shuffled an easy 7 before driving to Cape Cod for a week back home. 

On Tuesday I doubled on the Cape (8 and 4) rediscovering a number of choice trails I ran on during summers between college. 

On Wednesday I ran 10, again covering trails in/around the home.


On Thursday I rolled down to the local Turkey Trot with Emily and my sister. I gave my $20 to the local food bank then hit the roads. I took the lead after a quarter mile and then time trialed the rest of the race: 5:02, 5:09, 4:56 finishing up in about 15:26. It was a good effort. I got in another few miles before calling it a day.

On Friday I got in a respectable 12 miles running some new (to me) trails I discovered in my home town. Amazing how I hadn't ever encountered these before.

On Saturday I ran my high school alumni race and broke my "meet record" of 15:30 by running 15:18 for a technical 2.9 miler. In high school I ran 16:01 and have always equated the time turn here to a fast road 5k. 

On Sunday I ran a steady 16 with Sam Luff along the Lehigh River in Allentown. The first few miles of the run were pretty depressing: running along a windswept river on one side and railroad tracks on the other, but soon things looked up. Sam swore that PA "was nicer than this", at which point we passed a shut down steel mill...then a dead body (well, not really). We turned around at 8 and drove back into the wind towards our waiting cars. Then we ate greasy eggies at a local diner. 

77 miles for the week.

3 comments:

Ancient Chinese Secret said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ancient Chinese Secret said...

Can you blog more about this "dead body" on your run?

Anonymous said...

Well... we didn't so much find it as... cause it.