Friday, July 22, 2011

Boiling Mad

I took an entire week off. Initially, that wasn't the plan, but as each day ended I realized I wasn't ready to run the next morning. The good news was that my leg seemed to be healing each day, but I was still in no position to put weight on it.

Fast forward to Monday. I hadn't run in one week. At "home" in beautiful Cape Cod. Splendid weather. Low humidity. Ocean breeze. I laced up the shoes and zipped out the door. Almost immediately my right hammy began to ache, but I bit my upper lip and pressed on convincing myself that it would eventually warm up. And, it did. However, the run left me hobbling around for the rest of the day and by the time I had arrived back in Maryland after a long day of sitting in cars and sitting on airplanes, my leg felt extremely locked up. I sighed in frustration and decided I wouldn't run until AFTER the last of any pains dissipated.

This is a huge setback; the worst since my return. It come on the heals of a fine race/fitness marker (the mile), which, in a sense, is a microcosm of my entire 2010 season (a nasty injury on the heals of a fine season). I am going to stand down and hope this thing passes.

As far as running goes, this seems to be a fine week to skip. As I type, the "feels like" temperature in Washington is 121 degrees. This is a new "PR" for me.

No comments: