Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Return to the Track


I am back up. Now it's time to gamble some...

After a brief mono scare (in fact, I have a sinus infection) I find myself hungry for further training. On Saturday afternoon, I felt depleted, tired and my throat was so sore that I wasn't able to swallow without pain and at times I wasn't able to swallow at all. My appetite plummeted and I did my best to sip water and stay hydrated. Running on Sunday morning actually made me feel better, but I began to slip again later that evening and then into Monday. I was extremely nervous I might I have mono as two people, including my nurse of a mother, noted this as a possible diagnosis. I got a blood test and a strep test yesterday, and both turned up negative. In fact, I have a sinus infection. I never been so happy to have a sinus infection in...well, ever. Whehhh. Now, back to work...

I met Luff and Dusen for 9 on Tuesday morning. We meandered down to, and around, the Walter Reed Annex trails. Considering I could barely swallow my dinner the night before, I was happy with how it went. The two Ivy League grads talked about Ivy League track while I impressed them both with my knowledge of college basketball.

I am excited to try the legs/injury out on the track tonight. This will be the first time I've run circles in I don't know how long -- at least 6 months, likely more. In fact, it must be closer to 9 months. It's the perfect "come back" workout - 6 x 800m "by feel". I'll try to "feel" my way around 5 minute pace, but like the race last weekend, I want to run strong, steady and comfortable and NOT fast. I will be careful to note how the legs/injury feel after all the "on/off". I tested this some on Saturday while running along the CCT, but tonight will be a much better indicator.

DEVELOPING...

No comments: