Saturday, April 16, 2011

Counter Textbook Maneuver



In a way it makes no sense, but I believe it has to be done. Sometimes we must do things we think might not be best, because there is a slight chance some good might come out of it. This is how I feel about racing on May 1; in two weeks.

It's now been a year since I've raced competitively and I haven't raced at all since turning 30. I've been guided forward by my quest to quench my never-ending thirst for the sport and I've been doing everything in my power to calm my inner beast in anticipation for the day when I am 100% injury free. It's been awhile since I posted and the headline is that I have very few "bad days" anymore, but I still have "okay days". I also have a fair number of "good days". I've been doing a lot of traveling and that's helped me scale back the number of days I am suppose to run each week (5). Last week in Texas, I had my best run yet. I was cruising down flat shadeless roads with the confidence of a Christian holding four aces.Two days later I ran a solid 9 miler after very little sleep and again felt grand. Two days later, however, I ran an easy 6 around TR Island and Iwo Jima and felt terrible. It's predictably unpredictable. Then I got a cold, again. When would this cycle of suck end?

But, something happened to me over the past two days.
When an email landed in my inbox the other night, I found that reason. I needed to get my confidence back. I needed a reason to run. I looked past my cold and shook the pain from my leg. Normally (and selfishly) I'd toss aside a "Race for Hope" type email, but this one was personal. Rob Magin, who passed away last May, was only 40 years. He left a wife and three children under the age of 10. He was one of the first runners I met when I landed in Bethesda back in 2002. Also a UMBC alumni, we had a lot of stories to share. I told him I was gunning for his post-collegiate times in DC-area races and his response was typical, modest, Rob:

I have enjoyed following your post-collegiate career and especially reading your post race reports. I can never remember my races in that detail. I am flattered that you measuring some of your performances compared to my times when I was your age. One thing to keep in mind is that even though we may have run the same races, the courses may be different. For example, the Cherry Blossom race course of 10-12 years ago was much faster than the current course. In any event, you are running well from the mile to the marathon, and given your recent race performances are setting yourself up well for the fall season. Look forward to seeing you blow my times out of the water...

So, I'll "race" the Run for Hope 5k.

During my half decade of sub-par post-collegiate racing before I hooked up with GRC, I was known (in some circles) for being able to run decent to good times off of little training and without any workouts. We will have to see if I still have that "talent".


It's been a year, May 1 is my birthday and this race has meaning. Something is written.

2 comments:

champgt said...

Good post Jake. Maybe I'll run that one too.

Anonymous said...

Awesome post, Jake. Looking forward to seeing you on May 1. --Jenn Magin