Monday, January 3, 2011

Needless Stats

I ran 2,359 miles in 2010, down exactly 1,000 miles from 2009. This is an average of 6.5 miles per day or 45 miles per week. In 2009 I hovered around 65 miles per week.

After the first 26 weeks in 2010, I was on pace to run 3,384 miles in 2010; approximately 9+ miles per day or 65 miles per week. Shortly after week 26, I took time off per my injury. And since then, things have been stop-and-go. During the second half of 2010, I averaged 3.6 miles per day. I'm not even going to multiply that number by 7 to get a weekly average...

I took 120 days off in 2010...that's about 1/3 (33%) of the year. I took 24 days off in the first half of the year, the rest were in the second half.Most of these days off were a result of the injury. Some were a result of work/travel and some were prescribed rest days.

Once I get healthy, I don't ever anticipate moving up much more in mileage. Every time I creep up past 90, bad things seem to happen (aches and pains, borderline injuries). I tend to run very well with a base of 80-90 mpw, a single track workout and a solid long run...then a nice taper which puts me a 50-70 mpw depending on where I'm at in the taper. If I can continue to run PRs training this way, then there is no need to upset this apple cart. It ain't broken.

I believe tracking mileage is a good thing and I believe more mileage = better results, but I also think it's important to run your mileage smart and to place more of an emphasis on what you do WITH your mileage than trying to hit certain numbers week in and week out.

No comments: