Monday, October 11, 2010

The Hardest Water Run Yet


Add ImageFriday's workout was the toughest one yet. I've now successfully completed the 14-day water running cycle given to me by Patrick Reaves c/o UMDXC&Track. The last workout consisted of 24 x 2:00 on/1:00 off but I altered it a little so that I'd get out of the pool a little sooner as I had errands to run, laundry to do and a bag to pack. The new workout would be 22 x 2:00 on/0:30 off. I am not sure if it was fatigue, hunger or water runner's throat, but that workout damn near sent me to Davy Jones' locker. The cutback in rest really reared its head just after 30 minutes had gone by. During my break I could be found 6" below the surface smiling with my eyes half shut. Finally I was done. I dragged myself out of the pool, wolfed down a burrito from Chipotle and then went home. 

The next morning I flew to New Hampshire for some R&R. New Hampshire in October is like heaven; it's a runner's paradise. Cool to cold temps and bright sunny, robin-egg-blue sky days. Hilly, dirt roads and ideal weather is enough to make me want to start a RED FOX RUNNING CAMP complete with a lake, beer, running and beer. Of course there was no running for me. 

This week, I switch to morning workouts since the pool now closes at 8pm (instead of 9pm). On that note, it's time to go to bed.

PS - for those who frequent this blog, I'd suggest reading the race reports from those who ran Sunday's Chicago Marathon (on the right hand side of this web page). They're good reads that question the sanity of a distance runner. Seems like it was a less than ideal running conditions (warm second half of race) and most people I know weren't thrilled with their result. Two exceptions being: GRCer Mike Cotterell PR'd by over 10 minutes and quasi local Tim Young from F'burg, VA ran 2:19:01...an agonizing tick away from making the OT (my guess is he'll get in - man can't be so cruel...or can he). Now we all need to look forward to other things.

"Set a running goal that will create a joyful process. Feel the joy, excitement, and fun that accompany this journey. Imagine you growing and improving as an athlete. Feel exhilarated as you live the lifestyle of a well-trained runner. Remind yourself that the goal is the beacon, guiding you to fulfillment. Imagine the goal being accomplished, and search for another that will help you continue the journey." 

No comments: