Saturday, August 21, 2010

The Test


If I want to RACE (ie - not run) Chicago, I need to start doing more. Injury be damned, I am running out of time. There is no more oysters and champagne on the Potomac*, it's time to get back out and fight... 

Today I went out on the C&O to test my leg/groin. The goal was to run 12-13 miles (or 90 minutes) and push part of the back half. There were 12 guys on the towpath including a few new faces. Most of us huddled together until the turn around and shortly thereafter I began a long drive. I had been feeling my injury, but it warmed up nicely when I started to hammer. Unfortunately the word "hammer" isn't very accurate. I checked my watch at one point and noticed a 5:49 split. I was content with the time, but I felt damn near awful. The sun had soaked my shorts and turned my face red. I gasped for breath on every stride, something I haven't felt in...years. Wow. I am out of shape. I'm not fast enough to run 5:50s on the towpath. I shut it down after 10 minutes and then crawled to a water fountain for some much needed relief. I shook my head and then continued the run. Though, this time around, my leg was howling. You wouldn't know it by looking at my stride, but I was in serious pain and it was not fun. It seems today I failed the test.

Ironically, tomorrow I head to the running capital of America; Eugene, Oregon. I hate to have pain when I run, unless it is that good kind.

*prize to the person who can explain the context behind this quote.

8 comments:

Caleb said...

A sarcastic civil war reference to McClellan troops in virgina. This army has to fight or run away the champagne and oysters on the potomac must be stopped.

Anonymous said...

it is on the google book. you cheat!!!

KLIM said...

Caleb wins. McClelland trained and trained and drilled and drilled, but the army wasnt moving or fighting.

Not sure what the prize will be....

Caleb said...

But they are right - I did cheat... but then agian - if you found it you tried to cheat too. Don't be a hater. I cheated first. Actually took it to heart - first run after stress fracture - felt great.

RM said...

SPOTTED:

Jake Klim, Saturday, his very own "The Line". Spotted by third party runner.

KLIM said...

I saw brennan too. Your twss spies cant hide from this sly fox. - the red fox

update: maturity levl drops...even more

RM said...

I asked Brennan to shadow you but I guess he got busted!

Did GRC put in a team application for Chicago? Obviously there are some real deal (Nike Elite, etc) teams that go to this race, but with the firepower you're sending I feel like you could do real well. 4 score.

KLIM said...

Caleb - glad you are running again, whoever you are. Seriously, it's a great thing.

RM - I didn't know Chicago HAD team scoring...I will have to investigate.