Friday, December 4, 2009

Toughening Up


I zipped out the door at 6:59am and met Christiam and MCRRCer Scott Koonce for another recovery run. We headed up to the Walter Reid trails and then came back. I added on 2 miles when we returned and got in just shy of 11. My legs feel excellent. No longer do they feel like mash potatoes and look like marshmallow, now they’re hardened tree limbs. I also noticed that I am back to my “training weight” (ie – 160lbs). No shin pain to speak of. I’ll take that.

I need to begin filling my evenings with something besides happy hours, couch surfing and staring at cockatiels. Running in the mornings enables me to have more time at the end of my day, but that time needs to be spent being more productive. I am toying with doing some light lifting (taking advantage of the gym in my building) and/or core work. I really hate this stuff and frankly suck at doing it and suck even more at keeping up with it, but I suppose I have to try. One or two days a week (30 minutes each) would be an appropriate start.

Coming soon…a book review of BORN TO RUN. It is certainly a Red Fox Recommended Read (RFRR) for all those who run.

4 comments:

Chika Gujarathi said...

My legs feel excellent. No longer do they feel like mash potatoes and look like marshmallow...

Did you get a tan?

Peter said...

Hey Fox, bring that book on the van ride to Kentucky so I can read it (if I finish the profiles first)

DM said...

hey, i just read born to run. look forward to a discussion. going in, i was skeptical, but i fucking loved it.

KLIM said...

RM - I too was VERY skeptical "oh, another ultra book" or "oh, another science book" but it is much more. I find myself closing the cover after a chapter and saying to myself "wow". Discussion to come soon.

Tugboat - I will bring the book on the trip.

Chika - no tan. Just tone.