Saturday, December 19, 2009

The Snow Run



I met Christiam and Jordan Snyder for an epic Hoth-like run from Grosvenor Place. Our goal was to get as close to Lake Needwood as we could. When we started the run, the snow was deeper than I thought. Instead of running down the bike path we opted for Beach Drive. No one was on the recently plowed road. Today we owned the road. After 20 minutes we ventured into some trails. I told Chris Bain we'd meet him at a bridge in 25:00. We arrived at the bridge in 24:47 and we soon saw Bain emerge from the white wilderness. Together, our quartet hammered north. By the time we hit Baltimore Road somewhere up in Rockville, we had been running for an hour. Our ragtag team of half frozen harriers then turned and started back in the direction that we came. The snow was now 7" deep. I ate part of a Cliff Bar and picked up some fresh snow with my glove and washed it down. I followed in Christiam's footsteps. Bain ran through the powdered snow to my right. Jordan tucked in behind. Snow balled up under the tongues of our shoes and itched our naked ankles. We huffed and puffed our way along the Rock Creek Trail for miles. We pushed cars out from snow banks like snowy superheroes and then we dreamed of eggs and scotch. When I arrived home my cheeks were as red as Saint Nick's. 14 in the snow...I love the snow.

1 comment:

Jordan said...

Actually 15.06 miles of magical running!!! http://connect.garmin.com/activity/20725306