Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Post Race Report and the Days That Follow


Post Race

I went out much too hard. That much is certain. If I were in better shape (like later this spring) I feel like I could buried the first mile into legs and hammered ahead. To some extent I did that, but it only got me to mile 5. Miles 2-5 were between 5:05 and 5:10…mile 6 was 5:30. I like the idea of getting out hard and tough in a race like this, but this was too hard and simply stupid; a freshman mistake. If there were mud, this strategy might have worked better, but with semi-dry ground enabling the runner to move up and pass others throughout the race, going out so hard wasn’t necessary.

On the other hand, I have to remember I am racing against the best runners in the country. The guys who passed by me were likely better runners than me on paper. They SHOULD be ahead of me. It wasn’t as if the steady stream of runners were slow guys having a good day. I was able to pull the reins in after the mile and keep myself from going further into oxygen debt. My 5 mile split (25:20) is basically where I was in July and it’s also about 20 seconds faster than where I was a year ago at the Jingle All the Way 10k. I’d like to know how I would have faired at the JAW this year. Maybe 31:30? The bottom line is that I am in better shape than previously thought and I got in shape quickly (i.e. – 2 workouts and a Turkey Trot 5k). And MOST importantly, I got back the passion to fight and race again. This has been strangely absent this fall and uncharacteristic of me. Etching out my spring training schedule last week also got my fire burning. I’ve got some tough, but I think doable, race goals. I will lay these out in a future post.

The plan now is to continue the base training and workout on Wednesdays with the team. Come January, my workouts will be more specific and will focus primarily on the 5k. A weekend workout or long run should keep my endurance-speed fine-tuned. I hope to hover between 70-80 miles a week and up my Sunday run to 18 miles.

The Days That Follow

I ran around the XC course in Lexington on Sunday. I wanted to get in 15, but my legs felt like hamburger and I stopped short at 11. A pathetic long run, but I feel as if forcing the distance on a Sunday after a race puts me in the well.

I met Marren for an easy 8 miles on Monday night and CC for an easy 8 on Tuesday morning. On Monday morning I came down with the beginnings of a cold, but I am fighting back with an overdose of Vitamin C and trying to get in some good rest. The cold lingered on Wednesday during a 9 mile run with Karl, but it’s nothing that is stopping me from getting in the runs. A few easy days are probably in order anyway.

7 comments:

Peter said...

I'm down for 5k workouts during the winter. My 1st peak will be shamrock 5k, 2nd peak Cherry blossom. Track on Wednesday, road or trail tempo work on Saturday.

KLIM said...

You should sign up for SHAMROCK now as it fills up fast. I am already in.

My next race is the UMd 3k (i) on 1/15. $20 is all it costs for a 3k PR.

I will e-mail you my rough race/training calendar when it's done.

Peter said...

Shamrock online registration page not found.

Developing...

I also want to do that outdoor 5000 at UMD

Anonymous said...

Jake, this is Marren.

Drinking some beer right now named after the fox himself. Rare Vos. Which in Flemmish means "Sly Fox." Here is what the label says: "Rare Vos, meaning 'sly fox,' is the name of one of Brussels' great cafes. It is also the name of our cunning Belgian-style amber which boasts a mellow character and an elusive spiciness."

KLIM said...

Ummm where are you right now?

RM said...

PETER:

http://www.charmcityrun.com/page.cfm?pageid=33&eid=885&m=03/1/10

You can get to the active link from there.

Peter said...

Thanks Ryan. Looking forward to meeting you and your Baltimore crew