Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Weekend


I did not run my alumni race on Saturday. It was a good decision in retrospect, but hard nonetheless. This year I fired the starting gun (which sent a shot of adrenaline down my spine and into my running shoes), but that was as far as I got to racing. I ran the course as a warm-up before the race and marked the correct turns with baby powder then ran back home once the race ended. I felt pretty good except for some minor shin pain; the same thing I've been struggling with for the past few months. It was very minor so it wasn't too big a deal. I did sleep with a compression sock and fashioned my own version of a Strassburg Sock by tying the t-shirt I wore all day from my knee cap to my toes. I shrugged my shoulders and went to bed. When I woke up some time later the shirt was in a ball at the end of my covers...go figure.

I ran on Sunday with Cape Cod Ace Joe Navas. Joe is the best all around runner on the Cape and has been crushing his PRs from 5k to marathon at the ripe age of 39. I seem to be running into (literally) a lot of guys in their upper 30s, lower 40s who can still crank out 5:00 pace for 5ks. He is pretty new to running (I think) and discovered it probably less than 10 years ago. I want to make fun of him, but I can't because he is a loyal RED FOX blog reader. That was a joke Joe! We ran at Nickerson State Park in Brewster, which didn't actually have any trails. For some reason I thought the park was covered in rolling dirt roads, but instead it was all asphalt. This was fine as I need to get use to running long (and hard) on roads sometimes. We did an out-and-back 8 before jumping on a bike path and getting in another 7. The pace felt hot (1:26 for the first 13 miles) and it took me a long time to warm up. I felt better near the end and had no lingering shin pain. We shuffled the last 2 miles as a cool down. I hit 72 last week. I feel as if I'm heading in the right direction.

No comments: