Thursday, February 19, 2009

The 2011 Plan


In order to have success, I believe you must have a (long term) plan. My goal this spring is to PR in every distance from 5k to 10 miles. I've already run a bonus 3k PR and even have a chance in about a month to test my fate in the mile (PR is 4:20). I am 28 years old and will be 29 this spring. Time is a tickin'. The time for success in any shorter distances is NOW. The bounce in my stride will soon disappear. This spring surge is part of a much larger plan - to gain speed and strength for longer distances.

Pending a burnout or a conflict with work*, I hope to attack the half marathon this fall. Run two half marathons; maybe Philly and maybe Boston. TBD. I also want to hit the fast 8k in Richmond in November.

Next spring (2010), I'd like to again focus on Cherry Blossom. I might run the National Half Marathon before Cherry Blossom and hit a few 5ks again. Maybe even run the fast Ukrops 10k in Richmond? The goal, as always, will be to set PRs.

In fall 2010 I will attack the marathon again, likely Marine Corps. This will be the first marathon since spring 2008. I will hit Boston in the spring of 2011 and then Chicago in the fall of 2011.

In the autumn of 2011, I will be 31 years old. According to statistics, I am capable of a 2:25 - 2:28 marathon. Chicago would be the place to do it.

*work conflicts are my biggest hurdle. My profession can be brutal for training. I recently turned down an awesome job that would have crippled my training. I did this because it would have upset my entire spring racing calendar. I think I am on the verge of great things and I would have second-guessed this decision for the rest of my life. However, I may not make the same decision next time.

8 comments:

RM said...

Geez, and I thought I planned ahead...

Good goals though and I agree about a long term plan. Of course, I'm reading and seeing you passing on a job was like aaacckkk! - and then I realized I probably would have done the same. Although it would be nice to have a sweet job offer...:(

Peter said...

Several times I have turned down long term 10+ hour a day editing jobs that would paid really well but would have destroyed my body and mind. We can work our entire lives but the athletic prime is fleeting. Good choice.

JARRIN said...

None of you people ever listen to me...Chicago is not the place. Phoenix is. Just as flat, superior weather and consistent temperatures.

- JARRIN

KLIM said...

Phoenix is in January.

I wouldn't call "65 degrees at the finish" superior weather.

JARRIN said...

Not sure where you're getting your numbers but the two years I ran it the finish was 53 and 49 degrees. I've run Chicago and it's unreliable - some years hot some years not; but always windy at the wrong time, the back 6. And that you can count on...a crappy head wind at the end. Enjoy it and good luck!

- JARRIN

KLIM said...

I got my numbers off the Phoenix Marathon website

RM said...

Actually here is where you need to go:

AMSTERDAM

Like a week after Chicago, predictable weather in that it's typically crappy (and by crappy I mean perfect for running a marathon). Super fast marathon. Or you could look at Berlin in September, but it sells out REAL quick and I hear they might be moving it to June or something.

KLIM said...

My friend Kumar and I were going to run that race together...

But seriously, I am attempting to PR in every marathon I run until I am "done". The marathon is such an unforgiving distance and I want everything on my side: little travel and similar wx conditions that I am training in (ie - Md in Jan = 30s and 40s...Phoenix is warmer) is a must. EVENTUALLY, when I hang up the spikes and "run for fun" (a day where church bells throughout the land will ring in sorrow) I will try these other races. Until then, I am all business.

Of course we're talking 2 years from now before I run 26.2!