Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Land Where Coal is King

I like to use running as a vehicle to see new places. Unlike the Esquire, Robert JARRIN (Dubai, Cape Town et al), the places I end up visiting are eclectic pockets of Americana. And, unfortunately when I travel for work, I have little time to run. Such was the case over the past few days during my trip to Grundy, Virginia. Grundy sits on the crossroads of three states; Kentucky, West Virginia and Virginia - in the heart of coal country. Life here is vastly different than most of the places I’ve ever been. Everyone is extremely hard working, good natured, faithful to the Man upstairs and openly hospitable. Before and after school, kids coon hunt with coon hounds and fish the surrounding creeks. Weekends are spent 4-wheeling across the surrounding countryside. In their thick Appalachian drawls, families will tell you that coal has been good to them. Mountains give birth to it before mile-long trains shuffle the product across America. The work is tough and dangerous, but quite profitable. Coal builds towns and coal dictates the economy. Here, coal is king.


After an 8 hour drive, I got into Grundy on Sunday afternoon and the crew and I immediately went to work interviewing subjects for a potential documentary. I ate little on the drive down and soon became ravenous as the interviews ticked past 8pm. By 9pm we were starving. We finally wrapped, but I wanted to get in a 9 mile run. Wishful thinking. While my colleagues dined at a diner, I tore off up the dark empty street intent on getting this out of the way quickly. Because I was so hungry, I soon opted to nix the idea of a 9 miler and simply run 6…then 5. I was super starving by the time I limped into the Comfort Inn parking lot and inhaled the sandwich that awaited my arrival. I then had to do a bit more work but when I finished I dined on pancakes. The next morning I was up just after 5am and we pushed ahead until 9pm. On Tuesday I was shooting before 6am. We headed back towards Washington after lunch. I use to stress about missing runs while away, but it really isn’t practical when I’m on shoots. Sure, I could get up at 4am, but then I’m pretty worthless come early afternoon. The trouble is - I really enjoy running in places I’ve never been…guess I’ll have to wait until I am on vacation.

6 comments:

Peter said...

Film shoots and good running are very difficult to do at the same time in my experience.

RM said...

Grundy is a great name for a town.

Hi, I'm from Grundy.

JARRIN said...

Klim -

I commend you for even doing a scant 5 miler. I, more than most, know exactly what you are describing and your depiction has brought back tough memories of all the time I've spent on the road. Maybe this weekend I'll blog about it...

One thing though (and I could be wrong), I was under the impression that coal mining is an incredibly hard industry whose days of profit are long past. My impression was that many parts of Virginia and the surrounding have suffered at the hands of a lack of business diversity compounded with high rates of poverty and poor education. I could be totally wrong, but I've never heard modern day coal mining as being equitable ... rather gritty, unforgiving and merciless on everyone it touches.

- JARRIN

KLIM said...

After a certication, I am told that most can make $70k with benefits, stock options, health care and a 401k. In rural VA this ain't bad.

JARRIN said...

Right but the key questions are: how many are actually certified and what's the typical salary? I'm hard pressed to believe $70K is the typical salary (probably more likely the upper part of a range) otherwise many people would be making a beeline to work the black seam together.

- JARRIN

KLIM said...

We were all surprised to hear how well these guys were doing. Coal has been good to them.