Thursday, October 23, 2008

Winning the War

I am winning the war (just like I am winning over this here tree limb). I hope by stating this I won't jinx myself, but I am pleased to report I have had NO hip pain while running for well over two weeks (if not longer). The pain is retreating and I am cautiously advancing, flanking and then advancing. A month ago, my hip would flare up 10-15 minutes into the run. Now, I only feel pain (a dull pain at that) in the morning when I wake up. Likely because I've been horizontal all night and not on my feet AND because I have a tendency to sleep on my left side (too much information?) which is the side that has been causing me distress. I will certainly be taking Friday or Saturday off this week (1 day off) as I have nothing to gain and in fact EVERYTHING to lose if the pain were to ever come back in force. Soon, I hope, the retreat will turn into a rout, but patience and "flexible response" are needed now. Ease in. Push away the pain. Slowly. Methodically. Eventually it will be gone. Then strike. Then attack. Then WIN. The real test will come next week when I flip flop over to running in the mornings. Will the hip be more tender in the a.m. versus the p.m.? Find out next week at THE RED FOX...

Last night I ran a very easy 10 with "Gentleman" Jim Hage in the inky darkness of Kensington. I need to ask how he got this nickname. Jim is arguably one of the best distance runners ever from the Washington DC area (2:15 marathon PR not to mention his continued success into his 40s and now 50s). Jim is a wise sage. Last night he taught me that "re-aggravate" isn't a word. In lieu of "re-aggravate" you simply use "aggravate". I guess that makes sense? I run with Jim once a week when his busy work/family (just gave birth to twins...or at least Jim's wife did) schedule permits.

You can read more about Jim HERE or by Googling his name. He was a 9:30 2 miler in high school and "only" a 14:30 5k guy in college (Univ of MD). But after graduating he ran up to 140 mile weeks and became a distance god. Further evidence that the MORE you run (and handle!!) the better you'll perform. Segue to Patrick Reaves...

Reaves is another example of someone who has put in tons of mileage and workouts since graduating college. This past spring Reaves had never broken 16:00 for a 5k. Some of his other PRs at the time also didn't "make sense". However, all he needed to do was race and the PRs would fall like leaves from a tree. I believe he PR'd in every distance from 2 mile on up this past spring including a head-turning 2:31 low at the Boston Marathon. He is set to run Marine Corps Marathon on Sunday. I am running with Reaves tonight...

No comments: