Monday, March 31, 2014

Frustrating Results

On Monday, I ran an easy 7 with Sam from The Line

On Tuesday, I ran a moderate 9 in the morning. 

I had to be at work somewhat early on Wednesday and decided instead of waking up at 5:00am, I'd run after work. But I got lazy…and didn't run at all. 

On Thursday, I ran 9 with CTR, Jordan and Scott.

On Friday, I ran an easy 7 in Cabin John/Radio Tower Field. 

On Saturday, I ventured to Ashburn, VA for the Van Metre 5 Miler. I've run the race twice before and although it's not a fast course, it's where I've run my PR. In addition, there is usually great competition, nice door prices and money to the top 3. To be honest, I didn't want to run the race at all. It required waking up at 5:30 on a Saturday, it was suppose to rain and my heart wasn't in it. I can't remember the last time I felt so apathetic about racing, but it's the situation I found myself in on Friday night. Also, my knee has been acting up as of late and I'm never sure whether or not I should be running, let alone racing, on it. Despite being indifferent about the race, I did muster the mental energy to get there the next morning. After all, I had no excuse NOT to race and I also NEEDED to get in something hard. I met Outlaw and Lindsey for a warm-up and proceeded to do all the other things I've done a thousand times over before toeing the line. There were four Ethiopians, but neither went out super hard. In fact, after they ALL made a wrong turn (let's just say that many of the course marshals were also apathetic about being at the race) I found myself leading the race for the first mile, which I hit in 5:03 (GPS split). Outlaw was right on my hip and together we tucked in behind the Ethiopian quartet. By mile 2 (10:03) I had fallen back, but I certainly hadn't slowed down. Outlaw was still dueling with the East Africans and continued to do so for next two miles (he fell back at least twice, but fought his way back to the pack -- it was quite impressive and at the very least motivating), but I fell back (5:11, 5:18). I had a pretty narly side-stitch, which started around mile 2.5 and I was breathing pretty hard - I must not be in great shape yet. I hit my 5th mile in 5:14 (25:46 on my watch), but I still had some running to do and ended up cross the finish line around 26:15. Either my GPS was off or the course was long or I didn't run the tangents the right way, so depending on which data I use, I either ran "okay" or I ran "poor". Last year, on the same course, I ran 25:58 or so, so at least I can use the course as a constant. Regardless, I'm not in as great of shape as I need to be. I know Cherry Blossom isn't my peak race, but there is something special about it and I always like to give it my all. Ten-miles is arguably my best race distance, so I'm hoping for a miracle of sorts. 10.5 miles for the day.

On Sunday, I ran "long" with Outlaw and Sam. The weather was absolutely atrocious for running - high 30s/low 40s, rainy and windy. In addition, it had been raining for nearly 24 hours straight and the trails above the parking lot at Old Angler's Inn were slop. 11.5 miles was enough. 

54 miles for the week. 

Aforementioned, my knee has been bothering me again as of late, but it is not constant and some days it feels just fine. It's hard to know when to stand down (…or when to attack) and I'm constantly mulling over the situation in my head. One day at a time. One week at a time.

1 comment:

Ancient Chinese Secret said...