Sunday, August 4, 2013

The Coyote

On Monday, I ran an easy 8 with Luff from North Bethesda - an out and back south along the Rock Creek Trail.

On Tuesday, Luff and I ran 9, though I can't recall where we went.

On Wednesday, I hit the B-CC track for my first workout in...well, months. I only ran 2/3 of the workout, which is what I usually do on my first workout or two back. Still, I got in 4.5 miles of speed. Here is how it went down: 3 x 1.5 mile starting by running 78s, 77s and then 76s (for 400) ~ 7:53, 7:45, 7:40. I got in 9.5 miles that night.

On Thursday, I ran an easy 8 in Cabin John. Actually, I'm almost certain I ran more since the GPS seems to always skip when I run these curvy trails. Near the end of my run a very healthy coyote ran just in front of me. It was moving pretty good when it crossed the path, but it stopped twice to take a look back and make sure I wasn't following. Then, as soon as he crept out of sight I tore off after it through the woods with the goal of getting another look at it. I figured I might be able to cut it off, but alas Canis latrans by now was gone. I was use to seeing coyotes on runs in Massachusetts, but never in Maryland. In fact, in the 15 years I've lived/run in Maryland I've yet to every see one. It was a treat for sure.

On Friday, I met Koonce, Luff and Jimmy at Swains Lock for a solid 9 miles. We ran the towpath south to Great Falls, the road out of the park and down to Old Anglers, then back on the towpath. It's a loop I wish I could take credit for and one I'll have to revisit.

On Saturday, I woke up early and got ready for a workout at B-CC. It wasn't a fast workout, per se, but I knew it would be a grind. I ran a 4 mile w/u then jumped onto the track behind Dix, Barrett and Evan, who were already 2 miles into their 5 mile tempo. The goal pace was 5:30/mile. I ended up just a tad fast for my 3 miles (16:21 - 5:27s) before our group took to the Georgetown Branch Trail for Part II of our workout - 30-35 mins at 6:30 pace. I had to make a quick...err stop, but got back to the track in time for Part III - a 4 mile cut down starting at 5:25...then 5:20-5:15-5:10. I more or less hit those splits (5:23, 5:21, 5:15, 5:13) during the cutdown and ran 21:12 for the 4 miles. I ran a short cooldown and still got in 17.5 miles. It was my longest run since the spring and a great confidence booster for sure.

On Sunday, I met Dix, Dusen, CTR and Breezy for a run from Pennyfield Lock. We ran north along the towpath and met Texas Paul just south of Riley's. We ran a solid loop, but a few of us added on. I got in 11.

In the afternoon, I played about a zillion hours of water polo in Koonce's pool, which left my 33 year old body achy and sore. It was a great workout....I think.

It was a 75 mile week.

No comments: