Friday, June 28, 2013

A Crash in the Woods


On Monday, I shuffled an easy 8 miles with Outlaw at Old Angler's Inn. It was hot and humid - downright soupy. Thankfully, we stuck to the shaded trails above the falls - mainly the Goldminer's Loop.

On Tuesday, I ran a solo 5 miles in Cabin John. Not too impressive, but I got a later start and frankly I was just tired. I haven't had a day off of running (I think) since returning from Maine 3 weeks ago.

Speaking of Maine, I flew back there (or is it "here"?) on Wednesday. I took the day off from running.

On Thursday, after a solid day of work, I hit my favorite ATV trail for a workout - 1-2-3-3-2-1-1-2-3-3-2-1 minutes with equal rest. There was no particular method to running this workout or a reason for doing it other than to mix up the pace of my stride. On my 4th "3" I heard a giant crashing sound through the woods. I put the breaks on (I only had 30 seconds left) and began to creep back towards the location of the crash. I didn't see the critter, but it was likely a moose. Later, when describing the incident to a game warden, I was told it could have been a black bear - one has been frequenting that area. Oh, I also saw a beaver. For the most part I averaged 5:30 for the longer reps and crept down to 5:00 pace for the faster ones...hitting 4:44 pace at the end. I was pretty pooped at run's end and had covered the ten miles in 62:30. Temperatures here are great - mid-50s and no sun.

I woke up with a sore throat on Friday morning, but lumbered out the door anyway. The 5 mile run left me tired and depleted. We shall see what tomorrow brings.

Running while I am on film shoots is always a cluster.

No comments: