Friday, March 8, 2013

I'm Not Dead


No, not yet.

Though, for the first time in my life, running has not been a priority for me. I'm usually good at balancing life, work and running, but lately I've been distracted by figuring out where I am going to live, which largely depends where I end up scoring a job. I've been in between work since, what feels like, 1987. Normally, with all this free time, I would double down on training, but having just finished an intense marathon cycle (and succumbing to a knee niggle in late February/early March that wouldn't get right) I've been treading lightly.

By mid-February, I worked back up to almost 80 miles per week and ran my first workout since Phoenix and even got in a hard 20 (the last 10 in 57:00 including a 5:15 all out mile to catch Texas Paul)...but then I got some weird knee pain (as if I had bruised it) which took nearly two weeks to shake - I took 4 days off and started up, but it didn't go away, then I took another 4 days off. During that hiatus, I found myself back in Los Angeles searching for a job. The weather here sure is nice and while I enjoy running in the cold, and even snow, I do prefer a warmer climate as spring slowly dawns.

In Santa Monica, which is specifically where I am, I've been training with folks from the LA Speed Project, a group similar to the GRC in terms of cohesiveness, though this team is far more marathon-centric (their spring goal race, the LA Marathon, is less than two weeks away) than GRC (track, road racing and marathon). I started running again - easily - last Saturday. In the past 7 days I've accrued 56 miles, but after a *true* week (ending this Sunday) I should be back close to 70. The important thing is that my knee feels swell. Yesterday, I ran a 2 x 2 mile tempo-like cut-down along the Pacific Ocean. The path is concrete, unfortunately, so today it felt as if my legs took an extra pounding. I dipped down to 5:0x pace...realizing that was once a pace I could hold for ten miles. 

I am working for the NYRR during the New York Half next week, which means I'll be doing a lot of runs in Central Park, IF I find the time to get runs in. I must!

I am signed up for Cherry Blossom, but who know how great of shape I will be in by then. I really need to get some more speed work in...perhaps that means two workouts per week. My arch-nemesis, the kitten killing Bert Rodriguez, and I spoke not too long ago about making an all-out assault at the 50:00 barrier. Once again, that goal will need to be tabled...at least for me.

As a non sequitur, it's kind of bizarre to see celebrities in one's day-to-day movements: Ben Affleck at a road race, Don Cheadle at a farmer's market and Mike Tyson at a coffee shop.

3 comments:

Karim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karim said...

Glad to hear you're not dead. See you at the Cherry Blossom!

Anonymous said...

Rumors of your death had been greatly exaggerated.