Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Tendon Update



I took Sunday - Tuesday off (3 days) in an attempt to heal up from whatever it is that is causing me pain. I've also been sick (head cold/sore throat), so it was a good time to stand down. In the interim, I've been icing, (light) stretching and resting. As each day passed it felt much better, so by Wednesday I figured it was time for a run.

RESULTS: the run went okay, but not as good as I hoped. I ran 3.5 miles...after a half mile I felt the tendon, but there wasn't much pain, nothing like Friday and Saturday of last week. The pain felt like it started to maybe go away near the end, but it was hard to tell. I stopped after 25 minutes and didn't see the need to push it any further. My legs in general were very achy/weird from taking 3 days off.

I tied my shoes extra loose too, which definitely helped. I also tied them the "Lydiard way". I even wore my least-restrictive socks...no joke.

I'm icing now and will stretch later.

I'm no expert on injuries, but I've certainly had my fair share of niggles. My hunch is to continue with light running so that I'm "actively resting" the tendon(s) for the next few days, perhaps with a day off thrown into the mix. I'll of course continue to ice and stretch.

While I keep hearing things like "the hay is in the barn" and "there is nothing you can do now, but rest" I need to be doing *some* running before boarding an airplane. I'm all about the taper, and respond well to it, but this is certainly not what I had in mind.

I'd like to get one more workout in, which will simulate the first 7 miles of my marathon (mile warm-up, 5:55, 5:50, 5:45, 4 x 5:40, mile cool down), but I need to wait and see when the right opportunity will present itself. 

No comments: