Friday, September 14, 2012

Race Time


Saturday will mark my first "real" race of the fall season. I ran Kentlands as a rust-buster, Parks as a hard workout, but the Run Geek Run! 8k (got to love the name?) will be the first time I try to go into the red zone. Conveniently, it's also a fast course. My goal is to go out conservatively, but still hit mile one in/around 5:05.

I ran an easy 9 with Sam from Old Angler's Inn on Monday night then doubled on Tuesday and Wednesday. The workout at AU went nicely, but running that square-like track is always awkward. The goal was 6 x 800m cutdown; light in quantity, but a touch faster than the pace of my normal oval. I hit: 2:29, 2:27, 2:27, 2:23, 2:22, 2:18. My IT was definitely tight near the end of the workout and I decided to take a long cool down. Despite all that it was still tight the next morning when I jogged 8 miles. During that run I spied a long black snake and watched a failed attempt by a red-tail hawk to catch a squirrel. Nature at its best. 

By Friday morning the hammy/IT (or whatever the hell it is) felt fine. I got in an easy 7. 

Ready for tomorrow.

No comments: