Thursday, September 20, 2012

Best Workout Since Spring


After a few weeks of upping the mileage and increasing the intensity, both Jerry and I thought it best to scale back a little this week.

On Monday I ran an easy 9 with Luff from Swain's Lock in the afternoon. Any hammy pain I had on Sunday morning was gone by Monday night. Near the end of our run, as the sun set across the Potomac, we spied a number of large bucks, two of which were sparring with their antlers.

On Tuesday morning I ran an easy 7.5 with Catherine and Koonce. The weather was quite humid, given that it's mid-September.

On Wednesday I ran an easy 4 in the morning and in the afternoon joined the team at the track for the weekly workout. After a 2.5 mile warm-up I hit the track for a 2k. To be honest, it was tough to get going. A grumble from Outlaw told me I wasn't alone in my struggle to run 5:00 pace. I ran in lane two to combat any ill effects the tight turns might have on my hip/hammy/whatever and came through 1600 in 4:58 before adding another lap at that pace. The pace quickened with the 1000s cutting down to what use to be my 5k pace. I had told Jerry I'd likely bail after the 1000s, because the 500s would be too quick, but although I was worked, my legs felt great - no hammy pain at all. I ran two cutting down the pace even more. It's been awhile since I've been able to run 65 second 400s. It was a great feeling and I was happy to have cut the pace down on each subsequent rep. 14 miles for the day.

Splits:
2K - 6:13 (3:00/1 lap+ rest on all)
4 x 1K - 3:01, 3:01, 2:57, 2:55
2 x 500 - 1:26, 1:25


Fall temperatures were in full swing when I hit the roads on Thursday morning. My legs felt marvelous running through the crisp 45 degree air. Strangely Rock Creek Trail was eerily quiet. I got in 8.

No comments: