Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The Strassburg Sock


I slept with a Strassburg Sock once again last night. No, the Strassburg Sock isn’t a French Whore nor a contraceptive device or some fashion statement you wear when visiting Bavarian Beer Halls…

NO, the Strassburg Sock is a instrument used to combat plantar fascia, but is also helps to prevent shin/Achilles pain as well. Last night I loosened the sock and it was much easier to wear. It seems to be helping a bit, so I’ll continue to wear it every other night or until this thing gets kicked. I’ve had no pain whatsoever since last Tuesday.

This morning I met CC for a run through the rain. I layered up a bit more than usual donning my yellow windbreaker. I sweat profusely throughout the run. We headed down to the Cabin John Trails and made a brazen crossing of the swollen Cabin John Creek. Luckily a felled tree had created a dam and we used that make our crossing. We hammered a 10-minute hill before heading home. I got in 9.

Mileage might be a little bit down this week per the race on Saturday, but I won’t be tapering. Tomorrow I am heading back to Cell Phone Field to run some 200m strides and Friday will be an easy day – 5 miles.

My contact on the ground in Lexington reports lots of rain. This morning in a dispatch he noted how “the ground is slop”. Temperatures are expected to dip into the teens and then rise to mid 30s on race day.

I pray for mud.

3 comments:

Andy said...

And mud you shall receive! Good luck sir, although you don't need any luck.

Steve J. said...

Jake,
Do you think the Strassburg sock can help treat/improve achilles pain or is it more of just to help prevent this from developing. I ask b/c I've dealt with tendinitis in my right achilles for a couple of years now. And I wonder if this might help it a bit.

KLIM said...

I think it helps combat the pain. It worked for me and I only used it a couple of times. Wear it lose though.

It might be best to borrow one from a friend (in lieu of spending $30-40) to see if it works for YOU.

Either way, I would definitely try wearing it at night Steve.