Thursday, August 27, 2009

In the Shadow of the Tetons


I heard a snap. The snap of a branch being stepped on. My eyes widened and I left the "safety" of the trail then made my way slowly into the woods. I picked up a stick, which would serve as a club in case I needed it. There was something in the woods ahead of me, something big. If it were a Grizzly, I had to be ready. I was shirtless and 4-5 miles from civilization and my Peacemaker wasn't on my hip. In fact, I don't own a Peacemaker. I stopped and listened. Snap. Something was there. I eased into the brush, but stopped when I saw a large brown object out of my left eye. I gripped my club and turned...a moose; a large cow. Could the bull be just ahead of me? A swamp stopped me in my tracks. I began to backtrack and then saw the moose gallop away. I fled back to the trail and then ran up to where I thought the cow might be seen. I was in luck - the cow and her calf (likely the animal who was ahead of me in the thicket) strided out in front of me and into a meadow. Then they disappeared back into the wild.

Jake Marren, who apparently has roamed these parts before, told me to run the Hermitage Point Trail as it was a sure bet to see great sights. He was right. The image above can be seen roughly half way through the 10-mile run. It is the signature image of the Grand Tetons National Park. After the run, I cleaned up in a bathroom and the made my way into Yellow Stone. Unfortunately the front of my left calve is super sore. I think it's a muscle thing. I purchased some ice at a store and iced the injury for about an hour before I headed out on hike number 1 of 5. I saw Old Faithful, vistas filled with Bison (one of which brushed up against my rental car), a bald eagle, mule deer and some of the most amazing landscapes I've ever seen.

I am in Cody tonight...not sure where I'll run tomorrow and whether my leg will be any better. It was a real bother starting and stopping so many times today.

2 comments:

JARRIN said...

There is an excellent "dude ranch" in Cody with endless trails used for mules and horseback riding from the back. I don't remember the name, but I thought they were the largest in Cody. Also, while there catch the Buffalo Bill Museum and the nightly rodeo...and please, carry a knife with you or something. There's bears and cats in them there mountian's.

JARRIN

Jake Marren said...

Not only did I wander those parts, but I did many a difficult run with Reaves' old highschool teammate Phil Hagedorn. I also met Reaves'highschool environmental science teacher, who was a most severe hottie. I think she is the reason both Reaves and I got into the whole environmental business.