Monday, May 25, 2009

Sad News


"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today" - Richard Adams (from the book Watership Down)

As I descended from the Shenandoah Mountains this afternoon, I learned of some tragic news. I had two voice messages informing me that Adam Jacobs, one of my two partners in last year's Running Film Festival, had passed away. I "met" Adam via phone last spring while scouring for RFF sponsors. Phil Knowlton (my other partner) and I decided to team up and utilize Adam's connections with various running/media vendors to enhance the festival. We talked at least twice a day, every day in the weeks before the event ironing out details and putting out fires.
If the RFF was considered a success, and many considered it one, that had everything to do with Adam's tireless efforts in the months leading up to the event. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

TFS FOUNDER ADAM JACOBS DIES UNEXPECTEDLY
By David Monti

Adam Jacobs, the founder and editor of TheFinalSprint.com and an enthusiastic supporter of American distance running, died unexpectedly last night. He was 24 and lived in Jersey City, N.J.

The death was confirmed by his mother, Jodi Jacobs, who called the Race Results Weekly office this morning to report her son's death.

Jacobs founded TheFinalSprint.com while a first year law student to provide both coverage of elite distance running and to build ties in the running community for athletes of all abilities. A natural salesman, Jacobs quickly found sponsors for the site and built up the site's editorial content with a special focus on podcasts and elite athlete blogs. Sara Hall, Ryan Hall, Nick Symmonds, and Jon Rankin were amongst the athletes who blogged on TheFinalSprint.com.

Like other information websites, TheFinalSprint.com was hit by the recent downturn in advertising and sponsorship revenue, especially from the auto industry. Over the last several months the site had fewer updates than normal.

A funeral service for Adam will be held tomorrow in Manalapan, N.J., at the Bloomfield-Cooper Jewis Chapel, 44 Wilson Avenue; 732-446-4242. The service will begin at 2:00 p.m., but mourners are encouraged to come at 1:00 p.m. to gather in advance.

Condolences and remembrances can be sent to Jodi L. Jacobs, 22 Longbow Drive, Englishtown, NJ 07726. Mrs. Jacobs encouraged mourners to make a donation in Adam's name to their favorite running organization.

Pictures: (ABOVE) Adam and I deep in thought about something, (BELOW) Adam with Nick Symmonds at the RFF autograph booth.

3 comments:

Peter said...

I had a good time hanging out with Adam at the trials. When we went to film the interview with Nike, we had some good laughs about the corny TFS theme song. "Start here, finish strong." I should check my source tapes to see if I have any footage of Adam his family might want.

RM said...

That's really sad, sorry to hear that. I'm surprised I don't know the name, if services are in Manalapan and he's only a few years younger than I am - Manalapan is 10 minutes from where I am from.

KLIM said...

Peter - that would be nice. I heard that his mom wanted to hear from people associated with his website/running career life.

RM - he wasn't a big runner in HS...if he even ran at all. I think he sorta fell into the sport after running a charity marathon and then decided to start a website.