Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Surge


I've returned to my old routine; wake up around 6:15, check e-mail, drink 16oz of Gatorade, don running garb, sigh and then head out the door for 10 miles. I feel as if I stay fairly fit by running a 50 mile work week (that is 10 miles on Mon-Friday) than a 25-30 mile weekend. I usually run 2-3 runs per week down the asphalt Rock Creek Park Trail (excuse for picture). There are a few areas where natural terrain trails come in and out, which allows for a nice change of pace.

I feel very strong and hip pain has been minimal. Yesterday I checked my watch only once on my way back to my apartment and realized I was running 6:00/mile pace. A tad too fast, but evident I am getting stronger. Today was quick too. I tend to feel the hip only when I run on grass and up and down hills. I am introducing both of these things back into my routine...slowly and it seems to be working. The hip pain is better than it was a week or so ago but I am a little concerned that my jump in mileage (55 to 70) is too much too soon. Coupled with faster than expected pace, I fear I may be heading down the wrong track. Patience is key and I need to check in on myself while running to ensure I keep things moderate. It's been tough to run slow when the weather has been chilly, so I've bundled up more than usual in an effort to relax a bit more. Either way, I can report I am still winning the war. Progress has been made. The "surge" in mileage has helped the situation. If things continue to progress (and that's a big "if"), I may hop into the Jingle Bell 10k next month.


I am doing core work every night - sit-ups, push-up and foam roller drills. I can feel my body tightening and hardening and I can't help thinking about the Robert Deniro character of Travis Bickle in Taxi Driver

Travis: June twenty-ninth. I gotta get in shape. Too much sitting has ruined my body. Too much abuse has gone on for too long. From now on there will be 50 pushups each morning, 50 pullups. There will be no more pills, no more bad food, no more destroyers of my body. From now on will be total organization. Every muscle must be tight.

(Cough) Anyways, Mitten is STILL sitting on her 4 eggs, but I think they are "duds". Before Thanksgiving, I will do one final look...if they are in fact duds, I'll make an egg sandwich.

No comments: